Sunday 11 October 2015

Friday. 02/10/2015. 'Super Tasty Miso Broth, Chicken, Mushrooms and Wild Rice..'

This recipe comes from 'Everyday Super Food' by Jamie Oliver. Page 208. 



















Book Pic



The choice to do this recipe was simple: for variety in the weekly menu, I tend to include a soup of some sort. Asian inspired broth or soup are getting a firm favourite of mine as well. The book picture looked very attractive as well. 


I must confess as a foodie, I have lots of pastes, sauces, tubes, jars, powders and stuff from all over the world, which  I almost compulsively have to have in my cupboards or fridge, where they slept peacefully undisturbed. Some rarely used, some not at all because my busy previous life didn't give me the energy to find out those recipes how to use them, and if I did find one, the courage of doing something with them. 


Miso Broth.




White Miso Paste.
Time have changed and now I open my cupboards like treasures trunks. One ingredient, I hoarded diligently most probably after having watched a program by Ching-He Huang was Miso paste. Finally I had a beautiful recipe to learn how to use that little gem. Yes, the word Miso played a great part in choosing this recipe as a must try. Used within the soup, it gives a sweet, light umami flavour.









Nori Sheet.
Apart from Miso, the other ingredient I never used before but this time had to buy was the sheet of Nori. I didn't mind the expense, even if I am using only one sheet in this recipe, for I am a big sushi fan.  Learning how to make sushi from scratch is definitely on the map for me: Big time, Big treat. I must say the taste of that seaweed sheet in the broth accompanied by the Kale worked really well.  I will use again Nori sheet that way. It was very novel to me yet impressed me. 





pickling the Radishes
Now, a very simple little process which I learnt in this recipe was invaluable to create a quick treat which was delish:  it was pickling radishes with a splash of vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Very effective and yummy, I did that with the leftover radishes many times afterwards to snack in front of TV. Both, my partner and I were fond of those pickled radishes.  




Little rice bowls.
The only change done to the recipe was the wild rice which we could not find. So I used Red Camargue Rice instead. Those little side bowls were nice to dive into. 








The Result.
The result was very nice and very tasty, however my partner is not fond of mushroom in soups, he just find them soggy, and doesn't like the texture. I happen to love them, grin, conundrum night.  It was a three star for one and four for the other, so the recipe fared three and a half altogether. It could be done again but without those beautiful mushrooms: what is the point? The broth will lose its magical combination.  Nothing is lost, that recipe of Jamie Oliver taught me a few tricks with the radishes and the Nori sheet without forgetting how to use the miso paste.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.