Wednesday 7 October 2015

Wednesday. 30/09/2015. 'Griddled Steak and Peppers Herby Jewelled Tabbouleh Rice.'

This recipe comes from 'Everyday Super Food' by Jamie Oliver. Page 216. 

















Book Pic.




From the title and the book picture, this recipe had everything going for it. Partial to griddled Steak in our home, this was an easy pick: 'let's try that one.'







Also I happen to love a good Tabbouleh, although I only done one previously at home. My favourite in town (London) is the one served at 'Gallipoli' a Turkish resto in Islington: It's bellissima. I can only recommend that family run restaurant but also to try Tabbouleh at home. 


Result of Joint Effort.
The advantage of that recipe, it made the Grill King take control of the meat while I prepared the Tabbouleh. I must say I enjoyed having all hands on board in the kitchen. First, it's for the relaxed blabber and chatter shared with a good glass of Sauvignon blanc. Second, it has to do with using all skills in the house: I am good at carbonising steak, he is good at grilling it, I chop everything but onions who make me cry rivers but my partner is almost insensitive to them. 


Grilled Steak and Tabbouleh. 
Third, my alter ego has started to transform himself into the foodie that I am, so there is some banter and slight competition going on. After watching all those cookery programs with me, from you name it 'Masterchef' to 'Great British Menu' passing by 'Saturday Kitchen', he developed a keenness to learn the especially technical and difficult things to do. Fourth, part of me, my lazy self enjoys watching his efforts into mastering something so technical it would have been a right down headache for me to do. I don't mind his pride upon success either, grin: I know I will enjoy the food without having slaving over the difficult bits. It's a win-win no sweat. 



The Prep.


The change in the recipe were very minimal. If I cooked the rice, this time upon the packet instruction, my boiling water had a veg stock cube in it. I doubled the amount of spring onions to 4 instead of 2. I like those babies. The preparation done the Tabbouleh was easy to create.


Cucamelons.


Among the parsley and mint, I added my harvest of Cucamelons, which I cut in halves. Those tiny Mexican fruits are tiny, smaller than cherry tomatoes, striped like a watermelon but taste refreshingly of cucumber. The flavour of Cucamelon went really well with the rest.


Jazzed up Tabbouleh..



Black Tomatoes, 'Indigo Rose' Variety.


Another ingredient from the garden which made it onto the plate was our black tomatoes 'Indigo Rose.' We only had about three four of them to use, I quartered some (the larger ones) and halving others.










Pomegranate Time.
One ingredient, I never use is the Pomegranate. On my part is a little lack of love for it. But my partner is very fond of the fruit, so he was very happy to have it in that dish. I must admit the seeds were the jewels of the Tabbouleh, giving it that little extra edge.


The result was an excellent dish and dinner which we both enjoyed very much. We gave the recipe a five star and it will make a come back in the Summer for it is ideal for that season we recon.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.