Monday 12 October 2015

Sweet Treat of the Week. 'Sweet Potato Muffins, Chilli, Cheese and Seeds.'

This recipe comes from 'Everyday Super Food' by Jamie Oliver. Page 64. 















Book Pic.

Now, you know that I am not much of a sweet tooth but that I am trying to up my skills concerning sweets, puds and desserts. Muffins are one of my must learn in my mind book. Savoury Muffins have got that trendy aspect to them which make them very attractive to the adventurous palates but mainly to the not so sweet ones like mine. Learning to do  a healthy brunch Muffin appealed to me straight away. 







Resulting Savoury Muffin.
I must confess that my choice got mixed conservative comments straight away, lots of raised eyebrows and circumspection. The book picture did not convince one that Muffins should be anything but sweet to be nice and worth consideration. So to say the least, I felt like swimming against the tide during my trial.



Pretty stubborn, I tried nonetheless to do the Brunch Muffins... Let's bring some 'outside the box' thinking at home, however cosy some may think it is to be in one, like my Big Boy Berlioz.



Berlioz. loving his boxes. 






Sweet Potatoes.



I will not play here the Fifth Symphony of Beethoven, and think that I conquered all. For it played out differently. First the oddity of the all Muffin affair drew someone in the kitchen lending a very helping hand and curious eyes. 600g of Sweet Potatoes were duly grated for me to use. 










As I have no knowledge of how to do a 'normal' Muffin, I can't compare this recipe and technique to any other, however I can tell about what the result tasted like. 



The Prep.
Putting the intriguing preparation on the kitchen counter, from the Sweet Potatoes to the Spring Onions passing by the Cayenne Chillies and Cottage Cheese, one was very interested to see how I would make Muffins out of that.



The Magical Muffin Mixture.




In the Oven.
 But with the binding of eggs and the magic of self raising flour both of us saw the Brunch Muffins rising in the oven, me with a 'I have done my very first Muffins' smile on my face and my alter ego with a WTF smirk at his lips.


The result was surprisingly light Muffins with that warm wow factor of the Chilli kick to them. From suspiciously interesting they reached the grade of four stars with someone admitting that they were surprisingly nice.  As for myself, I gave my first attempt at Muffins a high five. So reaching a home rating of four point five, this Brunch recipe of Jamie Oliver is a clear winner. We had those Muffins at any time really from Brunch to when we were feeling peckish during the week.  They worked a treat. We will do them again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.