Thursday 8 October 2015

Thursday. 01/10/2015. 'Golden Salmon Steaks, Sweet Peas and Smashed Veg.'

This recipe comes from 'Everyday Super Food' by Jamie Oliver. Page 166. 














Book Pic.



The choice of that recipe to try out this week in our home relied on my shoulders. The book's picture says it all for it is a fish number. However as I tried to promote a more balanced diet for our dinners, the choice was reluctantly accepted. 









image from www.cookeryonline.com
One problem was finding darnes of Salmon, so we had to settle for fillets or Supremes instead. But losing out on that particular cut of fish, we focused on the provenance of it instead, choosing a Pacific Alaskan Salmon. The taste of it made up for everything.




Pacific Alaskan Salmon.
Apart for the right cut which we did not find in our usual supermarket, the rest of the ingredients were easily assembled on our kitchen counters. 






Swede.
I must admit that regarding the good old Swede, it has to be in a recipe for me to start using it. Somehow in my mind, I harbour that kind of ridiculous prejudice against certain out of fashion veg. But it is partly due to the fact that I have no idea what to do with some of them. For that the palliatif is simply following easy recipes that show me how.

Making that lovely mash with Swede was interesting and a real eye opener on the use of it. That particular veg brings a lightness to the mash which was very welcomed. My appreciation of that humble root went sky high and I will definitely do that particular mash again as a handy side dish to know about. Carrots, Potatoes and Swede made a great combination.



One of our Chives early this year.
Having a garden is a blessing however small it can be. Year on year, we try to establish a comprehensive one which has as constant and almost at its heart, the culinary herbs. Our established collection, (Chives, Mints, Sages) is growing with new additions all the time like this year with Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Basil. Next year the plan is to introduce to the kitchen garden, Tarragon, Marjoram and Oregano. I find it so rewarding to go and pick up the herbs I need for the evening meal that I can only recommend and encourage strongly for any to try it at home. It is easy and even a windowsill can do to grow a few herbs. Fresh, herbs give that vibrant extra taste to any plate and make it sing to your palate.




Chives.
With that apology to the fresh culinary herbs, the one I could use from my garden was our established Chives. It goes so well with so many dishes especially fish ones. We love it in our house to jazz up a scrambled eggs brunch or in an omelette. It has that mild spring onion like flavour to it which works so well with many things.

To finish the dish was very easy to make and the recipe was just as well to follow. I would call it a non brainer. As for the result that fishy number had the thumbs of approval and reached a four star which means someone would not mind at all eating it again. Yeehaw to Jamie Oliver! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.