Monday 21 September 2015

Monday. 14/09/2015. 'Ham and Tarragon Pot Pie'.

The recipe is from 'Good Food'.September 2015 issue. Page 45.

















Right this number is all about comfort food, and come the rainy days, gosh do I turn around it like a sunflower towards the sun. But what clinched it for me truly was the word: tarragon, one of my favourite herbs of all time. 



I am very visual and a good picture in a food magazine can incite me to cook something but there the herb factor had the edge. Tarragon.... I do not even remember the time I started liking its flavour, but my fridge always have a packet of tarragon living in its door. Next year, I am going to grow that beautiful herb for the first time, a variety called 'Tarragon Russian'. I am expecting any time soon that little packet of 250 seeds to arrive at my door with a somewhat joyous and childish delight. It is part of one of my many gardening projects planned for 2016. 

The recipe didn't have many ingredients, less is usually better but as I had some chestnut mushrooms to use up, I took the opportunity to put them into this little pie, about 150g of them. Ham/mushroom/peas kind of sing together to me: ' We are family'...

From start to finish, the recipe was easy to do, with the hardest part being building the sauce by inserting the milk. I went a bit creative with the pie top, trying to make little roses out of the leftover pastry. Working or not, I enjoyed my attempts. 

The result of my efforts was a massive pie. Comfort food: yes, it delivered on that aspect. It was served with a little watercress & spinach salad and mash potatoes on the side very simply.





The verdict on that little number was a 4 stars. It will make a come back with the mushrooms in it. The pulled ham hock was a great novelty ingredient for us to use.  Economically, the left over filled the following day's lunch boxes: an added bonus. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.