Wednesday 23 September 2015

Wednesday. 16/09/2015. 'Roasted Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup'.

Recipe from 'Good Food', September 2015 issue. Page 50.















I do love a good soup and with a harvest of carrots to use up, this one jumped out from the magazine's pages for me. 




Maybe when we are kin gardeners we do tend to chose what will to make the most of our crops, so that all our efforts do not go into waste. However the challenges there were that my partner is not particularly fond of sweet potatoes and not fond of an all veggie night either. 

I just do not mind either, I enjoy the taste of sweet potatoes and I am not adverse to total veggie nights. The sweet potatoes could not be a swap in that recipe, otherwise it would have made the soup so understated that there would not have been a shine in the bowl. But I can make something meaty easily in a twist: I always have emergency cubetti di Pancetta and Chorizo in my fridge. 



So this number benefited with some added Chorizo cubes, 80g, fried, added right at the end as a garnish. It was a lovely addition, good combination if not even, I would say inspired. It gave a little tasty twist to the entire dish. 





Surprisingly enough my partner loved the soup served with the little squares of olive foccacia breads. He didn't mind the sweet Tatoes' whatsoever. The carrots, our ones were the star of the show for him and I. I am buyist. We grew those babies: Little Chantenay ones, which blossomed beyond the norm for their variety, and beautiful Nantes Carrots. Our first year of growing carrots was very successful by all means, so much so that we will give them another go next years, with a couple of different varieties. 


All in all, we gave a four star to that soup with the intention of having it again. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.