Friday 25 September 2015

Preserve Plan of the Week. 'Cinnamon-scented Plum Jam.'

The recipe comes from 'Good Food'.  September 2015 issue. Page 34. 
















Making jam has such a homely feel about it. I made my first jam last year with our harvest of chillies and it was an household yummy success. It goes awesomely well with cheese on toast during Winter. However I never made a fruit jam before. Jelly yes, my redcurrant and port one has become a Christmas favourite at home. 






Having more time on my hands means I can also experiment more on the preserving front. The preserving article in that mag made me do the pickled beetroot with my garden ones but also the plum number which sounded too good to miss. I also may do Jane's green tomato chutney with all my end of season tomatoes who failed to ripe from lack of sun in a couple of weeks. 







Plums: back in the days, in my last flat, we had a beautiful little plum tree in the garden which was a joy for all the flat mates. I picked enough then to try my hand on my first chutney. The fate of that lovely tree was sad for when the landlord decided to reclaim his house, he just concreted the garden, pulled out all established shrubs, lavender and roses, and the tree was just a goner. He went for a busy life non maintenance scheme. 





Somehow, I felt for that single tree that fell for one could not be bothered to look after it, such a waste, in my eyes, and to all who lived there. So doing my first jam with plums somehow meant to me, like for my first chutney, in memory of that tree that was so fruitful which I had lovely evenings reading underneath it with a glass of wine. 

I wish the plums I had were his, yet I also wished I did justice to them for a plunker can always come out of  nowhere and kill the fruits of earth  for whatever belief they bestow, money and time was his.






The use of cinnamon in that recipe was a puller, I love its taste. It is a mighty little stick which transform anything like a magic wand to awesome.

I enjoyed doing the entire jam'ing process from the pan to the jars. From the bubbling and setting, the entire process was easy and straight forward to follow.  




The result was  four lovely jars of plum jam. Those are assets for the winter months. My partner is looking forward to fill his butter croissants with it on our lazy Sunday mornings. To the memory of a little plum tree: My first fruit jam until I plant a plum tree in his honour. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.