Sunday 27 September 2015

Tuesday. 22/09/2015. 'Salmon en Croûte with Watercress Sauce.'












This recipe comes from 'Mary Berry Cooks the Perfect, Step by Step.' by Mary Berry. Page 68.  It was accompanied by her recipe 'Buttered Peas with Spring Greens and Mint', Page 202 of the same book.







fish and chips

From the onset this dish was a  slight challenge to pull off for if it is not breadcrumbed and cod, aka fish and chips, my partner will not like fish... Or it used to be very much like that because I love my fish, and coming from a port, and counting many fishermen and sailors as my ancestors, this is one thing I could not consider to give up on my plate. I am fond of fish and chips, don't get me wrong but I also love variety and they are plenty of fish in the sea...:



monk fish tails floured.
 A lot of them, and to discard them all in favour of cod was ethically an option which may have brought over fishing in the first place if it happened in every home in my mind. So I did introduce regularly a different fish every couple of weeks in our home, and from tempura nuggets of monkfish tail, to home made haddock fish fingers passing by a smoked trout paté to snack on crackers, my man started to appreciate his fish a little more. 





Somehow I did evolve into looking for recipes where the fish is covered either by breadcrumbs, a batter of some sort, (beer ones are lovely) or pastry, otherwise I just blitz the fish to introduce it incognito like anchovies which goes so well with lamb. Without the knowledge of the fishy presence, the thumbs were always all up. 


So for a sweet surrender like Tango does best when it concerns fish, we had the 'Salmon en Croûte'. 



Tango
Mary Berry's book Pic.



The recipe is easy enough to follow from the mushroom and watercress mixture to fill the middle of the pastry parcel to the lovely sauce that accompanies the entire dish. 

I could not get skinned salmon fillets so I did it myself. This probably was one of the trickiest part as you do not want to lose too much flesh on those beautiful fish. 






beautiful Salmon fillets.
Pastry  Hic Hup.


But it did not beat for trickery how I beautifully messed up my puff pastry. I left the pastry on the baking sheet on the baking tray, on top of a warming oven. By the time I had to use it, it was pretty much like an unmanageable task just to wrap those salmons up. So guys and girls, place your pastry somewhere not too warm to not get it 'overstrechy' and  fiddly. I learnt my lesson that night with lots of laughter at the look of my 'En Croûte'. It wasn't the most beautiful parcel I ever sent to a plate by far. 


However what it lacked in presentation compared to a proper Mary Berry one, it didn't in flavour. It tasted fantastic, and I still got a massive thumbs up for the result.



watercress sauce



The watercress sauce is a lovely accompaniment to the dish and easy to make. 





Chinese Cabbage.
Book Pic.



For the side, I went for the buttered minty peas with spring greens. It worked perfectly with fish. Peas, spring onions, mint are a great combination. For the spring greens, I used one of the Chinese cabbages that I grow in my garden this Autumn. It had a fantastic texture and worked really well. I just treated the cabbage like shown in the tip at the bottom of the recipe called 'Key to perfection'. I must say that side packs a punch and I will definitely do it again to go along meat or fish, or with whatever cabbages available at the time in my pots outside.



Salmon en Croûte and buttered peas and spring greens.





Budget wise, the dish left plenty of leftover for a lunch box. However salmon is an expensive fish and a rather popular one. 




The entire dish, Salmon en Croûte, sauce and all the trimmings was gorgeous. Despite not liking fish that much, my man was won over by it completely moreover he wants it back giving it a five stars. Next time I will not mess up the 'Croûte', having learnt by my mistakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.