Wednesday 30 September 2015

Sweet Treat of the Week. 'Lemon and Limoncello Posset.'

This recipe comes from 'Mary Berry Cooks the Perfect, Step by Step.' by Mary Berry. Page 274. 

















Book Pic.


Like I said before, I am fairly clueless when it concerns pudding and desserts, however I am always a keen learner especially if it involves doing something with flavour I enjoy. We happened to be fond of the sharp tang of lemons and for both our favourite cake is lemon drizzled cake. We also love yogurt, lemon flavour or not.

So from the book picture, we had a straight winner.









the result. 


Gathering the skills of making possets, from the onset is valuable to me for I can see myself serving those in the future at dinner parties. They have a very simple elegance about them but also a lightness which cleans the palate at the end of a good meal.


With the ingredients on the kitchen counter, I was all set up to learn step by step: 

-Double cream from Jersey MooMoos that happily live in grassy fields.


Double Cream.

-The lemon, that handy fruit which can give some zesty humph to so many dishes.

-Caster Sugar and Mint.


the Limoncello.
-And last but not least, the 'Limoncello'. We tasted that Italian lemon liqueur in a Italian restaurant for my birthday last year, it was offered by the manager at the end of the meal as a celebratory gift. (As I review restaurants for TripAdvisor, you will find my review among many for that lovely place on their site.) 

The Limoncello was a discovery for us both which delighted us so much that we quested for it the following week on supermarket shelves. In this dessert, the Limoncello gives that extra 'je ne sais quoi' of sophistication and elevates the flavours subtly. 



The frosted mint leaves.




our mint in pots on the patio.
To decorate the possets, you have to frost the mint leaves. This was fun if slightly delicate to do. But the beauty of Mary Berry's book is that there is a section called key to perfection at the bottom of recipes which is fab and plenty of tips, helping you getting it right. For a learner like I, I found that invaluable. 

Even if they are just edible decoration, mint always have that lovely refreshing flavour, and my partner was so fond of them that he wants to learn the technique for himself. His plan is to transform many leaves of our garden mints ( the common one and the chocolate variety one) into after dinner treats. I think next year we will grow a couple more pots of mint, two for our late night treats, and two for my culinary use. 


Before the set in the fridge.


I would recommend that recipe for its ease to follow but also because it tasted lovely. It was a crowd pleaser in our home which did got the high five. I intend to do that recipe at our next dinner party at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.